Everyone seems to be talking about CBD right now, and there is a good reason for that. However, you might not understand what this CBD fuss is all about. Very soon, there is going to be a CBD explosion. It is the next big thing and will soon be available everywhere. But what is CBD oil? What does it do to your health and is it legal? Let’s dig in and find out.
What is CBD Oil
CBD is one of the more than 100 cannabinoid compounds found in the cannabis plant. Researchers are yet to understand how the body’s endocannabinoid interact with these cannabinoids. CBD itself has a lot of research-backed evidence to support claims of its many health benefits.
CBD won’t get you high since it is non-psychoactive. This feature sets it apart from another popular cannabinoid compound, THC, which does have psychoactive effects. THC is the cannabinoid that is most associated with the mind-altering effects seen in those who use marijuana. You can enjoy the full benefits of cannabinoids without the disorienting effects of marijuana as long as you stick to CBD products that contain little to no THC.
It is estimated that by 2020, the U.S. market for CBD products will be worth $2.1 billion. That will be a 700 percent increase from its worth in 2016. CBD has also been removed from the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of prohibited drugs.
Should You Buy CBD Oil
Although it is still too early to fully understand the effects of CBD on human health, there is already substantial scientific evidence to supporting that CBD has valuable medical benefits. Some of the researches were even funded by the U.S. government, adding to their legitimacy. CBD can be used to treat diseases like arthritis, physical pain, and nausea among ailments. To relax after a long day, many people now partake in CBD drinks and food products. CBD is available in many products, such as gummies and oils.
If you’re still unsure about whether or not you should you buy CBD oil, consider even retired NFL players have now turned to CBD to bring them relief from physical pain, insomnia, and chronic headaches. CBD skin products are also used by the spa industry to fight signs of aging. NPR reports that CBD may have anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety properties according to research performed on animals and small-scale human studies. Meanwhile, there is an ongoing study to find out how CBD can help patients suffering from alcoholism and PTSD. There is also another study on people addicted to opioids. The study aims to explore how CBD can be used to curb their drug addiction.
National Institute of Health Report
The National Institute of Health has reported that CBD is one of the cannabinoids that can be used effectively to treat the side-effects of cancer. There are also cases where CBD has treated epileptic seizures. Dr. Orrin Devinsky, MD, the director of Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at NYU Langone Health, contends that there are indeed cases where CBD has genuinely benefited children suffering from a rare form of epilepsy. Although those cases are not frequent, he agrees that kids having hundreds of seizures in a day have seen a phenomenal recovery with the help of CBD. His statement is in line with other scientific advancements: Recently, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the first time certified Epidiolex for use. This is an epilepsy medication that includes purified CBD oil as one of its main components. After controlled clinical trials, Epidiolex was found to reduce seizures in patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome. Furthermore, it produced fewer negative side-effects compared to other epilepsy medications.
Dr. Said about CBD Oil
However, Dr. Devinsky still has reservations, although he is excited about these findings. He points out that only 5% of epilepsy cases in the U.S. are caused by Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. He wonders what becomes of the other 95%, as far as CBD is concerned. Studies reinforce his concerns that CBD is no more effective than a placebo in epilepsy cases involving focal seizures. He adds that the medical community should test CBD on more epilepsy syndromes and in the meantime, we need to be humble, skeptical, and open-minded; after all, the jury is still out. He cautions that people who think they know everything ahead of time are wrong most of the time, which is why scientific studies are performed.
If all this hype has merit, then you should buy CBD oil because it can be beneficial to your mental and physical health. CBD is to be moved under the least restrictive classification of the DEA’s Controlled Substance Act, making it legal. This is after the FDA declared that Epidiolex is safe and effective in treating certain ailments. Marijuana and its extracts are still classified as illegal by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.